Tuesday 16 September 2008

Lost without GPS

So yesterday I was walking down the street and was asked by a man where the train station was and what was the easiest way to get there. (I made the poor guy climb up some stairs so that I could point more effectively, sadly only more trees could be seen) I was happy to be able to help him out. However, on the flip side, it seemed strange to see a guy walking around with a GPS device, I've only seen them in cars. Well the directions that he was getting were confusing (turns out cause there are two train stations in Guildford) so he had to stop for directions.

This encounter got me wondering... are GPS things going to hurt our ability to remember directions, like calculators and adding? Are we going to learn to rely so much on this little machine talking to us to tell us where to go and not know how to get there otherwise? As one who used to be quite horrible at directions (it took me years to learn how to get to my dad's house, which involves about three turns.) I don't think that my lack of direction skill was anything more than just not paying attention when heading somewhere. And if we don't pay attention because something is talking to tell us where to go, what will happen with that? And heaven forbid that a GPS (like in the iPhone) doesn't actually talk to you. You actually have to have someone look at it. (not while driving) Whoa!

No comments: