Saturday 2 August 2014

Getting to Run Again


I forgot to write a post when I got to run again. Oh my! After taking two and a half weeks off, getting to run again was amazing! I actually cheered out loud when the run was starting. "Ya-hoo!" And there was a happy fist through into the air that joined the celebration.

It felt great! I did not run far nor super fast, but just being out running again, oh boy!

I know some people think that running is a crazy thing to do. Oh how I love it though! It is great for clearing your head, for sorting thoughts or getting rid of them, for figuring something out. Or just for relaxing.  The is just something about running that is addicting. I think everyone has their kind of exercise though. Some people really love yoga, or riding a bike, or dancing or whatever. I don't think it matters what you do, just find the thing that you like and do that. I think that is important. I used to feel a little sad that I do not love yoga. I understand that it is really good for you and a good workout. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. (I had a class where the instructor decided that all of her classes should be hot yoga even if it is not the normal kind to be heated. Oh geez. Plus it was an hour and a half. That is a long time for me to focus on breathing, to not talk and to pose. I did enjoy "perfect morning yoga" more. It was an hour long class at 7:00 am. That was a great time cause I am not awake enough to want to move quickly. Plus an hour seems more reasonable for me.) At the end of the day, though, I have accepted that yoga is not my thing. That is okay. Running is my thing, and oh, how I love it!

I am gearing up to run my first marathon this November. This will be my first one. I have wanted to do one for years. There has been a time or two when I think that this was a crazy idea. After that though, I think about the work that I will get to do and runs to put in in order to prepare for the run. Plus the fact that I will be able to say that I have done a marathon. I get excited about that. There is a running plan in order to build up enough miles.  I have never followed a training plan before, I look forward to needing to. This summer has been cooler than normal and that has made running easier. I got to run today under cloudy skies with a temperature in the high 60s. Whoa! It was fabulous and the run was fast!

No comments: