Thursday 28 June 2012

Maps and travel

I am sitting on a plane heading Boston. Sounds like fun. And reminding me of my England trip. (the going somewhere and being on an airplane part)

When I was in England on a bus, the driver asked where I was from, I said Michigan. Not really true at the moment, but oh well, it would be the answer I would give someone if they asked while I was in Wisconsin. He asked, "Isn't Michigan by all the lakes?" Impresive geography. I wonder if you gave a British person a blank map of the states, would they be able to name the states? What if all the names were listed and it was a fill in the blank kind of a thing? How many Americans would be able to do that?

I have always loved maps. I find them fascinating and can stare for hours at them. We used to have a globe and I would pretend that I was going to go on a trip to wherever my finger landed after spinning the globe. And then I would spin it again and get a new place. And again. I have seen a lot of crafts online nowadays from maps. Maybe I just want a map of someplace for a wall of my apartment.

Why are maps so mesmerizing?

No comments: