Sunday 25 November 2007

fairy tales

This afternoon I went and saw the movie Enchanted and it was really cute. Next to me were are few young girls with their popcorn, frozen coke, and candy in a nice little carrier box. Ha. Which probably cost at least $5, ah! My mom and I went to a movie last year and got the smallest popcorn and pop possible- good thing there were two of us cause you needed two hands to carry each item, gross. Yet is it just me or is it hard to go to the movies without the snacks? No, you don't need 64 oz of pop, or a pack of candy for $3.50. It's ridiculous in size, desire and price but such a part of the movies for some stupid reason, or some stroke of genius by some marketeer back in the day. And at the place I went today, you can even get a Starbucks coffee. Life is complete, ha.

So back to thoughts on this movie. I am a sap, a romantic, so a fairy tale is great. Princes and love and happily ever afters. So the premise of the movie is a princess from the animated world who ends up in the real world "where there are no happy endings." Sad. No happy endings? Surely that is not true? Yes there are horrible things that happen in life and life is hard, but there is hope and there are happy endings, not perfect everything goes exactly the way you think it will but still. I saw a book today and it was by a lady who things that we need more celebration and need to be disciplined in celebrating. I think the book was lots of little stories about seeing God and hope and life in the ordinary things. Ha, this lady is so me, she even loved dinner parties. So basically, I'm not saying that bad things don't happen, I'm not denying hardship, but why stop there? Why dwell in the negativity?

I have an English friend and when we first met, he basically said Americans lie. English people see things the way that they are and we Americans make it up, make things seem better than they are. To which I said that he saw the negative side of the way that things are and I saw the positive. So we were both seeing the same things but the interpretation is the difference. Not failing to recognize when things are crap, but not failing to see good in normal life too. God is good. Life is good. (not perfect or easy)

No comments: