Monday 17 December 2007

snow

I awoke this morning with pain in my back. Oh yes, the joys of shoveling! It was fun though, getting decked out in my snow pants, mittens, ski coat, huge boots, and knitted hat. And when I got tired, I just plopped into one of the piles of snow on the side of the driveway. Amazing to be sitting in snow and not wet or cold. Yes, I am that easily amused. Hard work though. We got 8 inches of snow over night.

Shoveling is a strange concept if you think about it..... take the shovel load it with as much snow as you can and fling the snow as far as possible, ideally off the driveway, usually not though, so you get closer to the side and pick up the same snow again, this time it does get thrown onto where you guess the lawn is, yes! How many times do you pick up the same snow??? So a few hours later, the driveway was done. (all while the snow blower sat in the garage..... turns out it only works when there is less snow, not that I really like the idea of a snow blower anyway.) And there was a lady across the street shoveling and I over heard her getting yelled at. "Do you remember the one rule? Don't step on the snow!" Sad. I can understand the logic, if you compact the snow, it gets icy easier, but sounds strange and I felt bad, shoveling is hard enough, no need to be yelled at for doing it wrong.

I had not much focus or method, just pick up snow and chuck it, none of the rows. I don't have the focus for rows and find it more fun with the random method.

I did try to make a snow man once I was done but the snow was too fluffy and wouldn't stick. There is a snow angel in the backyard though and it looks great!

No comments: