Friday 14 December 2007

things moving forward

How many times does life not go the way that you thought it would? But there is something better around the corner.

So I'm off to Madison, Wisconsin, a place that I admit I don't know much about, but that's part of the fun. Just go somewhere, discover the great things about the place, your favorite places to go, meet new people there and see what happens and where life goes. New adventure.

But for the next few weeks, I am here in Michigan, enjoying time with mom and becoming a regular at the closest coffee shop to my mom's house. (they are really sweet here and pull out the soy milk as I walk in the door)

Applying for jobs is a strange concept really. I send resumes and emails and work samples to people, most of whom I am expecting not to respond. Funny cause the worst that can happen is that they won't respond. Otherwise you get a "we'll see if you have the experience we're looking for" email, which of course I don't have the experience. But somehow I still like those emails, makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere, even if it goes no further than that. And you never know what'll happen. Like I emailed design firms in Chicago that I liked, which got me a meeting with one of them, which got me the name of a recruiter. I got in contact with them, and they are great. After a nice interview there, I had someone looking out for jobs for me. Perfect. Now of course, I'm not going to Chicago, which foils that plan slightly but still a good experience. I called a place in Madison who only does design work for companies that they believe in and want to support, interesting concept, eh? That guy was friendly and gave me some suggestions of places to look into. Like a big jigsaw puzzle or a maze or something, some kind of riddle that needs to be solved and get some money at the end, good deal. And get to meet new people, added bonus.

So much of life can't be sorted or figured out though and requires that "wait and see" and a trust that things will work out. And the crazy part is that they do work out, and the plans that you had or thought you had are replaced by something bigger or better or closer to who you are.

No comments: