Tuesday 10 September 2013

Getting Adjusted



My tea the other night had the saying "live in your strength." I liked it a lot. Living in your strength is living in God first, as he is our strength. I also think that as we grow closer to God, he helps us to be more ourselves and there is a great strength in that. We discover the things that we are good at and/or are passionate about and have freedom to pursue them. A few years ago, I spent time in England, it taught me more about who I am. It also helped me to like myself more because it was more genuine, plus I discovered traits that I did not know I had. Living as yourself is a very good thing to do. 

I like discovering new places. It is funny the things that we notice though. For example, here are some first impressions of the Charlotte area and in general:

The are a lot of trees (even downtown).

You see cars often parked facing the wrong way on the side of the road. I don't know why. 

People are very chatting here. I like it. We went to the grocery store. There was wine sampling and the lady told us that we made the end of her shift great because she spent a long time talking to us and recommending restaurants. 

Cardboard is hard to recycle. The recycling at our apartment says paper only. (I saw someone with cardboard, so I may try it.) I saved a few boxes that we had so that I could take them somewhere to recycle. Because I was going to Whole Foods today, I thought I would take it there. I was looking at the choices of the bins to put it in: 
Option 1: trash
Option 2: plastic or glass
Option 3: compost
Hmmmm. 
A gentleman who worked there was trying to be helpful and kept telling to put it in the trash. He told me many times "you can't recycle that, put it in the trash." "but it's cardboard sir, you can recycle it." In the end, which much guilt in my heart, I put it in the trash. He looked at me and repeated himself so many time, I felt bad because he was trying to be helpful and followed his instruction. 

New appliances can be tricky. We submitted a maintenance request that had to do with our fridge twice. Time one they needed to fix the ice maker in the freezer. I have no clue what they did, but there is ice so that was successful. Time two, the request was about the drawer that you put lunch meat in. It was hard to open. I got home to a note from the maintenance people, pull it down first, then out, it is a lock. I figured it was something easy but am a little confused by the need to lock the turkey and cheese. 

I have discovered places to run to and parks. And apple picking! I have also discovered that I can pop popcorn, yum!

No comments: