Tuesday 28 January 2014

Doing Ridiculous Things

Do you ever do things when you have no idea how they will turn out? Part of the reason for doing it is to see what happens. Sometimes, it is a risk to do these things that I am talking about. Often it is taking a chance somehow. Of course, it does not always work out the way that we want it to. But there is always learning that happens and perhaps an interesting story. I have a few somewhat ridiculous things that I have done as of late, with various results.

Thing one, there is an author named Bob Goff, who wrote an interesting book called Love Does. I would recommend reading it. At the end of the book, he gives his phone number and says that you can call if you want. Of course I am going to call, how interesting! I wanted to see what would happen. We played phone tag a little and I sent an email instead. He answered a question that I asked and then said we would follow up at an event, that it turns out I can't go to. (it has an exclusive audience of which I am not, I asked (twice)). But it turns out that he calls back, which is neat.

Then I tried applying to a job that I don't technically have the qualifications for. In the end, I was not able to apply because I do not meet those qualifications, but it was worth it for taking the risk and for seeing the support that I do have.

I emailed a friend to see if they knew of people in the area to connect to. They gave me a person to email who has now connected me with several others. Funny how things happen. You never know. And you can't plan for it. One foot in front of the other, one interesting risk, then the next. Some work out, some don't. But the ones that don't are still good for the adventure, the learning, and the growth. They are also good for stretching yourself enough to know that you can take the risk. On to the next one....

No comments: