Thursday 9 January 2014

Grown Up Jobs


I am not sure why this idea has stuck with me for so long. But I have an idea in my head that a "real" job involves an office, hours that are Monday-Friday and is doing something that seems serious or impressive.

I have not had that type of job. I also know a lot of people who have not had that type of job. I would look at each of those people and I would think that they have a real and official job. But I have trouble thinking that when I look at my job. I like my job, I like what I have gotten to do in the years that I have been there, I have grown and I have helped other people to grow, I have benefits, and I get paid a decent amount. So really, what is not "real" about that? This is something that I am working on this year. Perhaps, it is just a mindset that I need to change.

When I was young, I thought that grown ups had passed some point in their life in which they were officially a grown up. That meant that they knew what was going on in life. The older I get, the more I realize that life is about learning as you go. The adventures and experiences that you have in life teach you how to proceed with the next step, day, phase. As life progresses, we learn what we need to know, when we need to know it. Our past experiences form us into who we are. Then we do the best we can at the new experiences that come our way. No one has life figured out, we just figure it out as we go. I like this idea because you are always learning, always growing and never stopping. It also means that there is no some magically point to get to. Life is about the here and now. It is happening here and now.

No comments: