Thursday 9 January 2014

Secret Life and Knowing You


I went to the movies on Friday and saw "The Secret Life of Walter Middy." It was fantastic! It was beautiful, amazing scenery, fun camera angles, and a wonderful story. He changes during the movie, but really he does not change, he just lives out who he is and always was. Other people could see who is was from the beginning, even when he was living out less.

He lived a life in his mind, a life where most of the adventure was fantasies in his mind. He was not really living in real life, he had no experiences to speak of. Then he started living out adventures. In his story, the adventures were quite dramatic, to the point that he had to touch a person around him to make sure it was actually real. 

One part that I found very interesting about the story was that the people who were around him during that transformation saw the real him from the beginning. They knew who he was even when he did not or did not live it out. I think this is really true for all of us, as we learn who were are more, as we live life more, we are not changing ourselves as much a just living who we are and have always been. 

I had that experience. After living in England for a few years, I thought that I had changed dramatically. I came back to the states and got to meet up with college friends who I hadn't seen in a while. They made comments about what I would do in a situation or what I would like and I was shocked that they were right. How did they know?! I thought I was so different. The truth is, I was not so different, I was more me. The difference for me was that I knew who I was better. I hadn't changed, I just started living as me more. 

No comments: